New Zealand vs Sri Lanka 1st Semi-Final ICC World Cup 2007 Highlights
1st Semi-Finals of ICC World Cup 2007: New Zealand vs Sri Lanka
- The 1st semi-finals of the ICC World Cup took place between New Zealand and Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka chose to bat first as the team won the toss.
- Sri Lanka made 289 runs in 50 overs with 5 wickets down. Mahela Jayawardene became the top scorer with 115 runs 109 balls with 10-fours and 3-sixes included. This became his 9th ODI century. Upul Tharanga scored 73 runs off 74 balls with 9-fours and 1-six included, Tillakaratne Dilshan scored 30 runs off 27 balls with 3-fours included, Chamara Silva struck 21 runs off 33 balls with 1-six included and Kumar Sangakkara made 18 runs facing 42 balls with 2-fours included.
- New Zealand picked up 5 wickets and James Franklin picked up 2 of them 46 runs in 9 overs with 1 maiden over included, Daniel Vettori picked up 1 for 51 runs in 10 overs, Shane Bond picked up 1 for 59 runs in 10 overs with 1 maiden over included and Jacob Oram picked 1 as well.
- New Zealand made 208 runs in 41.4 overs with all their wickets down. Peter Fulton scored 46 runs off 77 balls with 2-fours and 1-six included, Scott Styris made 37 runs off 38 balls with 2-fours and 3-sixes included, James Frankling scored 30 runs for not-out facing 38 balls with 2-fours included and Craig McMillan scored 25 runs off 20 balls with 1-four and 2-six included.
- Sri Lanka’s Muttiah Muralitharan successfully picked up 4 of New Zealand’s wickets for 31 runs in 8 overs, Tillakaratne Dilshan picked up 2 for 22 runs in 4.4 overs, Sanath Jayasuriya picked up 2 for 57 runs in 9 overs, Lasith Malinga picked up 1 and Chaminda Vaas picked up 1 as well.
- With this victory, Sri Lanka entered the World Cup finals for the second time since the 1996 tournament.
- Mahela Jayawardene became the Player of the match for scoring excellent 115 runs off 109 balls with 10fours and 3-sixes included.